Wednesday 1 February 2012

Drugstore Vs. High End: Volumizing Mascara Review

Today, I will be comparing Yves Saint Laurent Luxurious Mascara Shocking Volume and Maybelline Volum' Express Cat Eyes Mascara, which both claim to be volumizing mascaras. 


Yves Saint Laurent Luxurious Mascara Shocking Volume
I bought this mascara when I was at the Yves Saint Laurent counter looking for a nice lip gloss, when the YSL representative insisted she try their new mascara on me. She applied it just on the tips of my eyelashes, on top of the mascara I was already wearing. When I looked in the mirror I was initially impressed and purchased the mascara. However, when I used it at home by itself, I wasn't as impressed. This mascara has a very thick consistency and tends to clump at the tips of your eyelashes when applied. It also smells very perfumed which is a little odd considering it's a product for your eyes! As for it volumizing effects, it does add volume but it just looks a bit clumpy and thick.


(Above: YSL Shocking brush)


 Maybelline Volum' Express Cat Eyes Mascara
I bought this mascara, as I was always a fan on the original Colossal mascara. I would say that the formula is pretty much the same, the Cat Eyes possibly has a slightly thinner consistency. So, the main difference is the brush. The Cat Eyes has a quite a narrow, spoon shaped brush which I think is ideal for applying mascara as you can really get it into the base of your eyelashes, which aids the volumizing affect of the mascara. It separates and defines your eyelashes really well and because of the shape of the brush it also fans them out nicely.

(Above: Maybelline Cat Eyes brush)


..and the winner is : Drugstore!

I hope you have a fantastic day, and feel free to ask any questions :)

No comments:

Post a Comment